Saturday 24 March 2012

Marie Antoinette (2006)



Marie Antoinette (2006) Review








Director : Sofia Coppola

Being a queen's daughter isn't as sweet as we might in the beginning think it is. Being a queen - neither. Marie Antoinette was just 14 years old when she was forced to marry Louis XVI. And that's all because of required improvement in relationship between France and Austria. 

I actually think that the court of Versaille was the one that made Marie who she after all was. From my point of view, Antoinette wouldn't become so profligate and reckless (I remember that after her first night in Versaille she thought that all the official things were totally ridiculous and unnecessar.) if not the countess and other courtiers.

I think that Marie didn't deserved such fate, she's still an iconic woman in my eyes. Even though Antoinette was responsible for the big expenses, but why Louis XVI couldn't be wiser and more decisive? In the end they both were guilty.

Let's talk straight about the film now. In my opinion, Sofia Coppola did an amazing job. Capitally captured inner world of Marie Antoinette although we also have to thank Kristen Dunst for such good dramatics. 

One thing I liked the most was the soundtrack. I really enjoyed watching film because of it. Relatively small impact of the music of 18th century but mostly modern pop and alternative rock. That's what kept me alive while the plot was kinda sad eventually.

I don't hold this film in high regard but I must admit that it helped me to finally understand the reasons of The great French revolution. I wouldn't be satisfied either if the king and queen lived in prosperity but the nation had to starve.

No comments:

Post a Comment