Saturday 10 March 2012

Mamma mia (2008)









Director: Phyllida Lloyd


I've heard about the musical, then film Mamma mia a long time ago but never managed to watch it. Yesterday I finally did it.

At first I was like - great actors (Meryl Streep, Colin Firth), great music (hits by 70s group ABBA) but then I got bored. Although singing was great (I was very surprised when I found out that everything was sung by actors. I must admit I underestimated their ability to sing before, now I'll know) I'm not a huge fan of musicals and when there were only few conversations between two long songs I was really fed up. (But don't worry, I watched it till the end)

Besides the big amount of musical performances I really loved the story. A young girl Sophie, who is getting married, finally wants to find her father who then could walk her down the aisle. (How sweet is that?) There is just one big problem. No one knows who her father is, not even her mother Donna. (She was really wild in her 20s, dating 3 guys at the same time (just a few days difference). Sophie is so desperate that she invites all 3 of her possible fathers to her wedding. The funny thing is that her mother doesn't know anything about this. (Sophie sent the invitations signing as Donna)

When they arrive the crazy things start to happen, that leads to unexpected decisions, surprising couples and of course.... the wedding.

All in all I would rate this film with a plus. It's a great comedy accompanied by never-dying ABBA music. Some of the song I heard for the first time. ("Lay all your love on me" was my favourite) Oh and don't forget about the place and scenery where the film was shot. I wouldn't refuse spending holidays in such a beautiful Greek island.

The main idea – you are never too old to fall in love again, enjoy your life to its fullest and don’t waste it doing things you don’t like.

No comments:

Post a Comment