Friday 10 August 2012

The iron lady (2011)



Director: Phyllida Lloyd

You might like to know, what made me watch this film. The answer is easy - first of all, Meryl Streep has won the Oscar for playing the Iron lady Mrs Thatcher and, secondly, I have heard good reviews. As a history lover I had to watch it, I was so ashamed I did not know almost anything about Margaret before except for that she was the Prime Minister from the conservative party. This film made a lot of things clearer for me.

You cannot deny that Meryl is an awesome actress (and that make-up!!!! In some episodes it is hard to recognize her) but I would give Oscar to Michelle (My week with Merilyn - read here ). It is impossible to compare these 2 films as well as the main characters (both Margaret and Merilyn have made history only in a different way. Both' names start with "M"!!!)  but maybe I am just not that keen on Politics and prefer something playful, although either of them have quite a serious story.

The Iron lady tells us that you have to work hard to achieve your goals and always dream big because nothing is impossible. Margaret was not a party animal, instead she learned a lot and finished Oxford University, one of the best and the most prestigious university in the world. Margaret knew that she would not be like any other women who do the washing up, make dinner and take care of her children every day. It was not for her but Politics and especially Prime Minister position was.

This film follows the best and the most unpleasant moments of her carrier and also shows the modern Margaret, woman who is not the iron lady anymore, can be vulnerable and cannot control everything anymore. She is like many other elderlies just with bright past.





No comments:

Post a Comment