Tuesday 28 August 2012

Bleak house (1853)






Author: Charles Dickens

The last lines, the last words and I have finished. I have read the book I have never believed I would. About 900 pages is not something little. When I started reading, I really was not sure whether I chose the right book or not. I have always been a very romantic person, I like love stories with happy or sometimes unexpected endings, but this book "Bleak house" was something completely different from what I have read before. I am interested in history but did not know that the judiciary in England was so ridiculous and at the same time painful for so many people that were indrawn in it. 

This work can be divided into 2 parts (it is actually in two parts, but I will talk about something different) - 1. The story from Esther's point of view 2. The story from the author's point of view. The first one I loved more although in the beginning I thought that Esther was too naive and innocent (she did not change as the story went by) but as I was reading further and further, I used to that. Esther was a really good girl, a true friend that would never stab in the back, rather sacrifice her own wishes and feelings just to know that her beloved ones got all they wanted or needed. No wonders everyone loved her. She was the good spirit at the Bleak house and everywhere else. I know that I could never be like Esther as well as I do not believe that there is such a good, no, great person on Earth. She really deserved a good ending for her story and eventually got it. I honestly never thought that Esther would marry Mr. Jarndyce. That would be too weird without saying even more.

Talking about the second part, I have to admit that at first I was bored , I thought I would never finish this book because I had to push myself very hard to read even a single line. But, but...As there were more and more characters involved, I become interested in it, especially when the detective side of the plot brightened it. Then I just could not put the book away.

Amazing and old language is what will make you love "Bleak house", as well as the bright and colourful characters (each of them had his/her own special way of talking because of which you could not mistake him/her for somebody else).  After reading this novel I strongly believe that Charles Dickens is one of the greatest writers of all the time, let alone the ones whose works I have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment