Sunday 26 August 2012

Bel ami (2012)




Directors: Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod

Before I start discussing this film I have to tell you that I was really frustrated when I found out it was Robert Pattinson who got to play Georges Duroy. Yes, I had read the book by G. de Maupassant years ago and that is why I just could not imagine, I could not portray how the leading star of Twilight (I think it is one of the worst films, because of the plot,  I have ever seen) would play a man who is using women to gain success in the 19th century Paris. Now I have to admit I was wrong thinking that Robert is a bad actor. He is good but only when he plays in good films.

I have always been fascinated by history and I really want to go to France someday therefore Bel ami is the film exactly for me. I never thought that there was such dissoluteness at that time (the end of 19th century), wives cheated on their husbands and husbands cheated on their wives. But it was not so easy to do back then. Everything had to be a secret otherwise you would lose your status and would be ashamed in front of all society.

Georges Duroy was a free man who never really cared about his partners feelings, he cared only about himself, about what he can gain from this and that connection (many at the same time). Although this action is blameworthy, you can also understand why Georges did so. Ever since he remembered himself, Georges was always poor. Of course when you can smell money, when you feel that it is so close like never before, you just cannot resist the temptation to try and get it. Neither could Georges.

I have to adjudge that I waited something more from Bel ami. After reading the book with such a stormy plot this film was only a weak reflection. But, but... I still rated it very good because of the actors and my beloved historical/romantic theme. Christina Ricci, Uma Thurman, Kristin Scott Thomas and, yes, Robert Pattinson - that is a great actors company. If only the plot could reach their level...



No comments:

Post a Comment