Thursday 13 June 2013

Admission (2013)



Director: Paul Weitz

I remember being all stressed out a year ago when I applied to university, and they joy I felt when I was accepted... Oh that's indescribable. Now, I'm a student, and I will never have to go through this again, unless I decide to take up master studies.

But let's return to the film. Frankly speaking, I'd never imagined that it's so difficult to get in a university in the USA and that the admission process is so complicated and time-consuming. It's not just about your grades; everything counts - your hobbies, achievements, participation in school activities. Take this into account you, future applicants, in order to secure a place.

Nevertheless, "Admission" isn't just about admission. It's about something more, about finding your place and understanding the true values. Portia Nathan isn't just an insensible admission officer. She has her own problems, hidden deep in the heart. John Pressman, a freethinker and the founder of a college-bound alternative school, is the one who helps Portia find herself and face the biggest fears. It's high time Portia finally thought outside the box and stopped being such a goody-two-shoes.

I would hesitate to say that this film was a masterpiece and made me want to watch it again and again (though I love Paul Rudd). Absolutely not, but I would lie if I said that it was really, really bad. No, it's an ordinary sitcom with a small drop of drama. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of films, but I choose to watch them when I don't want to tire my brain and simply laugh about interesting coincidences and funny incidents or, in other words, when I want to relax. That's what you too have to be wishing by choosing to watch this film because there's nothing more you can ask from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment