Wednesday 23 January 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)



The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) Film Review





Director: Peter Jackson

I remember reading "Hobbit: There and back again" by J.R.R. Tolkien when I was not more than 7 years old. Well, frankly speaking, my dad read it before sleep every night and I just listened patiently, with a great interest and enthusiasm. Back then it was one of my favourite books and I could not be more happy when I found out that there would be a cinematographic adaptation, especially because the one who took up the reins was no other but Peter Jackson. The man who brought "The lord of the rings" to life.

As I had seen "LOTR" triology before, I had high expectations for this film as well. And you know what? It did pay off, seeing the high frame rate in motion was fascinating. First of all, I want to mention that Peter Jackson did an amazing job in selecting the actors. Previously I would never imagine even-tempered Dr. Watson aka Martin Freeman running like a teenager and going on dangerous adventures. But now I have changed my mind. Bilbo was actually an audacious hobbit. And what about dwarfs? Make-up artists had done a great job as well. Few days after watching the film I decided to check out how these actors look in the real life and I was pleasently surprised because if I saw at least one of them in a different kind of film I would never recognize him. That is how the oscars are earned.

Talking about the plot itself, I have to admit that LOTR did leave a better impression than the Hobbit. Nonetheless, I would not say that it was boring or uninspiring. It was not. This film was full of sudden events, interesting moments and of course jokes. (J.R.R. Tolkien was a merrymaker, was not he?) One more thing I have to mark out is the special effects. I am amazed how a set of computer programs can create a completely different world that cannot be seen anywhere else. Though, they could work a little bit more on the orc leader. This one seemed too artificial, comparing to others.

Now let's turn to the main reason why I am writing this review. I have been talking about lots of different things but still have not mentioned what is the story about. Well, in short, it is about a friendly hobbit who one day is surprised by an unexpected visit of Gendalf and thirteen dwarfs. They encourage him to set out on an adventure in order to help to reclaim the Lonely Mountain (the once powerful and prosperous kingdom of dwarfs) from Smaug the dragon. At first insecure and faithless, in the course of time both dwarfs and the hobbit become close and reliable friends but there will always be someone who would love to split them. We all know that this journey is not going to be easy but it is going to be worth it. If you love LOTR or any other fantasy adventure film, then you will love "The Hobbit: An unexpected journey" either.

No comments:

Post a Comment