Wednesday 16 January 2013

Agnes Grey (1847)


Author: Anne Brontë

Once upon a time I read a book "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte, later I found out that there was another Bronte - Emily and I just could not resist reading her most famous work - "Wuthering heights" (although I did not finish it - not my type). It was at the end of 2012 when I was at the local library looking for another "victim" and I suddenly stumbled upon Anna Bronte's "Agnes Grey". Three years ago I did not know Charlotte had any sister but now she had even two of them. I was surprised and intrigued. I had to read this book maybe because it carried my name on its cover, but mostly because I wanted to compare skills of all three sisters.

All in all, I must say that I was amazed how flowing and rather simple but emotional the language of "Agnes Grey" was. It was nothing superhuman but did bring the right mood. Before reading the book, I had acquainted myself with other reviews and they were saying that this work was far behind the sisters' novels. It did not frighten me away, on the contrary, I was even more interested in reading the up to now undervalued.
The story is told from the eyes of innocent and sensitive Agnes Grey who by seeing her family slowly going bankrupt, decides to face a challenge and becomes a governess. Her job is a hard nut to crack.  Agnes does not know what lies ahead and that eventually she will go through a series of emotional storms just to be happy and to get what Agnes truly deserves.
With that being said, the truth is "Agnes Grey" is not the novel of the lifetime, nor the best work I have ever read or that has ever been written. But... After finishing such a serious and heavy novel as "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo, "Agnes Grey" does seem as a piece of cake and the right work to continue with. Something light, simple, where there is nothing to worry about, just to enjoy the wonderful process of reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment