Sunday 26 January 2014

Sophie's Choice (1979)



Sophie's Choice (1979) Book Review


 





 Author: William Styron


To be honest, probably I would have never come to this book if not the TV show Friends. In one of the episodes someone said, "It's not a Sophie's choice." Back then, I didn't know what it meant, but I was sure I had to find that out.

I gave 5 stars to this novel not because it was well written (which of course it was, and sometimes humorous, as well), but mainly because of the knowledge I gained after finishing the book. I've always loved history, and I like to find out new mysteries and secrets. During my school years, I was a very attentive listener in the history classes; therefore, I thought I know pretty much about Nazism and the holocaust in Poland, but never had I realized how little my knowledge actually was. Lebensborn, Armia Krajowa, Birkenau - those were just some of the words I heard for the first time.

But the richness of historical facts wasn't the only thing I liked about "Sophie's Choice". The crazy and tragic love story was on the top of everything. That's what kept me in suspense and didn't let me stop. Moreover, the way how Styron expounded all the details about the wartime Poland, Auschwitz (oh, that horrifying name!) and revealed the deepest human emotional experiences through the compassionate and heartfelt stories of Stingo, the narrator of the novel, a young writer whose life was changed so much by his Brooklyn neighbours - the beautiful concentration camp survivor Sophie and her mortal love  - self-proclaimed scientist Nathan. Styron's unbelievable writing skills at times made me feel as if I was there - sitting next to Stingo in a bar and listening to yet another Sophie's story about her past hardships. 

Fear, joy, disgust, and sorrow don't leave me even after a week of finishing the book. I still can't believe that this story is based on real events and actual people because I have never read about or seen such passion, lust and unconditional love that can send two young, healthy and seemingly joyful lovers to the grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment