Monday 25 March 2013

Persuasion (1816)



Author: Jane Austen

Those of you who follow my blog and read everything (or at least part of everything) I write might have noticed that I'm a Jane Austen's book lover. It's hard to explain where this love comes from, but maybe it's because every story of hers has a happy ending and they're all about love, and I like romance. Yet until now there has been only one book I've read from cover to cover, and it's "Pride and Prejudice". Others like "Emma" and "Sense and sensibility" I've seen on TV, and their time will come some day.

So what is this book about, why it is so special? The main thing that this novel teaches you is the generally known truth that money can't buy you happiness. The protagonist Anne is the middle sister in her family, though often ignored, especially when it comes to her feelings. Once she lost her love due to the pressure of her family and closest friends, now Anne is ready to come back and fight for her happiness. This is story about forgiveness and a warm heart which is accompanied by strong determination. If you are good to other people, good things will eventually happen to you as well, just remember that money can't be the most important thing in your life.


Although I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen's novels, I must admit that this wasn't exactly what I was initially looking for. As to me, Anne was too good, too nice, too this, too that. No one would stay still and accept even the biggest injustice. Honestly, sometimes I wanted to grab a piece of paper and write my own version of what could happen further. At first I was really bored, only my wish to finish this book faster kept me going from page to page, but as I had read more and more, I realized it's not that bad after all, I was actually keen to find out the next move (Jane Austen's novels be so unpredictable). The last pages ran unnoticed. Believe me, if you're not interested in the beginning, it doesn't mean the whole book is boring. Just keep going and you'll be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment